13 April 2010

Interview with Jeremy Shar, a senior at Lick-Wilmerding

Describe an average day at your school (give us a feel of a walk through the halls).
People are chill; it was a little intimidating when I was a freshman down in the lower hall, which is kind of the bad hall because freshmen don’t know what to do with themselves. Now that I’m a senior, it’s a bit nicer more spacious and I consider it to be a light filled corridor of fun. I’ve never been hit. Classes are interesting. I’ve always thought that the classes at Lick are pretty good its when I get home and have to do the homework I get frustrated with the amount of work.

How much of a resource is your school in your life’s development? Do you think it actively contributes to your greater learning in life? Do you feel that your classes cater to your immediate and future needs?
Well I wouldn’t say that the classes themselves are that helpful in terms of developing as a person, but I think that the whole experience of going to school has made me grow up. There are resources in terms of counseling, but I haven’t used them really but their there and I feel if I needed them I’d have access to them. The college counseling office was helpful, Krista was a dominant force in my college process.

How do you think your curriculum could be better formatted to teach you life skills?
Life skills, I don’t really know what that mean but I feel for my lifestyle to much emphasis is put on sex and drugs and not on more mundane skills. I would like to learn how to manage money, a home economics style class, and the stuff that I am going to need to know such as basic plumbing abd basic electrical skills. I am basically going to have to have my dad teach me everything. World history and calculus will have already left my brain and will be totally useless in the future. And car stuff, I don’t know how to change a tire.

Is there respect at your school between students? Students and teachers? Teachers and parents? Parents and students? How does this affect your learning environment?
Students and students, I would say at some fundamental level yes there is great resects between students. On a superficial level no. Student to teacher I think some teachers would probably expect a certain kind of respect that isn’t there. Kids know how much to respect each person and act around each teacher. There are some teachers who are more respectful then others.

If you could change one thing about you school, what would it be?
Put some trees on campus, I would cut down on student competition but I feel like that doesn’t really exist, its all in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment